What is the buzz of cacao all about?
Well firstly cacao will literally give you a buzz in your heart and body.
Cacao is a plant medicine that has been used for thousands of years in sacred traditional rituals and ceremonies in Ancient cultures and tribes, it is now becoming more popular in the Western world as we start to embrace the healing properties of this superfood. You hear the word “plant medicine” and I bet you are wondering if it is a psychedelic – the answer to this is NO, you won’t be flying with fairies and unicorns in a cacao ceremony but it will open your heart to the expansion of pure love and assist with deep heart healing!
Is it a bit woowoo?
Possibly, but it is a good thing in my opinion as we are constantly being disconnected from ourselves and each other through extensive social pressure and we are living in a constant state of fear which is fed through media outlets. We have fallen out of love with ourselves and with our lives and are living in a constant state of stress and anxiety with mental health illnesses on the rise – literally sky rocketing!!
In a cacao ceremony participants drink a ceremonial grade dose of cacao a beautiful ceremonial setting. The cacao used in these ceremonies is raw and unprocessed, and made from the ground beans mixed with oat milk and a little maple syrup and drank hot. The ceremony itself is led by an experienced facilitator and creates a safe space and container for the group, it usually involves other practices such as meditation, sound bath, sharing circle, story telling, chanting, and drumming.
The benefits of a cacao ceremony are HUGE and can be physical, emotional, and spiritual. Cacao contains a variety of natural compounds such as caffeine and theobromine, which bring feelings of euphoria and increased energy – BOOM!
It is known at “The Mother” in terms of the plant medicine family as it is nurturing and loving. I see it as The Mother coming in and picking up all the broken parts and pieces of the heart and lovingly putting it back together making it “whole” again. We go through life constantly encountering things that cause our heart to break, a cacao ceremony is calling back all those fragmented pieces to come home again. It is a beautiful experience which is life changing for many who encounter this deep and profound healing as we don’t have the opportunity or safe space to connect with our inner self.
A cacao ceremony is also a beautiful opportunity to enhancing spiritual growth as well as personal development.
The more spiritual side of cacao has the possibilities to:
- Connect to the spiritual realm: Consuming cacao in a ceremonial setting can help to open up the heart and connect with your inner self.
- Feeling of oneness: The ceremony can help to create a sense of community and connection among the group, promoting feelings of oneness and unity.
- Inner transformation: The ceremony usually include practices such as meditation, chanting, and drumming which can help to release negative emotions, trauma and toxicity that could be residing on a cellular level and bring on an inner transformation.
- Healing: Cacao ceremonies have a healing effect on both the body and the mind, and that consuming the cacao can help to balance the body’s energy and open up the mind.
- Intuition and Creativity: Cacao is said to open the heart chakra and to support intuition and creativity.
Some of the potential health benefits of ceremonial cacao include:
- Antioxidants: Cacao is a rich source of antioxidants, which are compounds that can help to protect the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals. Anti-oxidants are anti-aging as well so this is an added bonus!
- Mood-booster: Cacao contains natural compounds such as caffeine and theobromine, which produces feelings of euphoria and increased energy.
- Heart health: The flavonoids found in cacao can help to improve cardiovascular health by reducing blood pressure and improving blood flow to the heart.
- Brain function: Cacao contains compounds that may help to improve cognitive function and protect against age-related decline in brain function.
- Stress relief: Cacao contains anandamide, which can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
As with everything there are always some contradictions that can occur, even with something as amazing as cacao, consuming too much cacao can lead headaches, jitteriness, and insomnia, so it’s best to consume it in moderation. People on antidepressants and women who are pregnant or breast feeding should consult a facilitator before consuming a ceremonial dose of cacao.
Do you still need a reason to join a cacao ceremony? I think NOT!